Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Got around to calling the schools...

I feel like I'm one step closer to deciding on a school! Here's a list of the schools I called and the experience I got:

1. Career Step - I felt that they were the most knowledgeable about their responses. Like when I asked them questions, they (actually a woman named Nicolette) were able to answer me right away without saying things like "Hold on.. let me look this up". And they were really nice and actually seemed like they wanted to help. I even told Nicolette that one of my main concerns was making the right choice.. since Career Step is the most expensive school. I want to make sure I'm making the right decision and not to waste my time or money and Nicolette seemed to understand. She gave me advice on what to look for with all my research and not just try to advertise Career Step to me. Just what I need! (Or are they just doing that on purpose to gain my trust? Lol jk.). But really, the academic advisors seem very friendly and approachable.

2. UCR Extension - This was kind of an annoying call because there were people talking in the background and I could barely hear the person who answered the phone at times. I asked the woman if this program was approved by AHIMA and she was like, "Huh?" I had to tell her what it stood for and to spell it phonetically. I understand that the person I spoke to probably wasn't the program manager or anything but she could have at least transferred me to someone who knew. All she did was read something to me off a website. I couldn't really understand her, but I think she said that the UCR's program is offered by Career Step? I'm thinking of e-mailing Nicolette or Tyson to confirm this...

3. CSULA - I called Robin Hall but she did not answer the phone. I did not feel like leaving a message so I will probably try again at another time. I called at around 1pm-ish.

4. Pasadena City College - I called the register number and I already knew it was the wrong one. I only called that number because it was like the only number listed in their catalog. I was going to ask them to transfer me anyways. So the person who picked up let me ask the questions, just to see if he could answer them but once I asked them my first question (Is your program approved by AHIMA?) they were like, "Ohhh... I did not know it would be that extreme of a question" Lol. So the guy gave me the professor's cell phone number and name. His name is Joselito Capili. I called his cell, but he did not answer. Again, I may try again at a later time as I did not feel like leaving voicemail. Or maybe I have to leave voicemail in order for them to call me back?

5. CSULB - I called the CCPE Student Services Center where they transferred me to Cindy who is the program director and asked her my questions. I asked her if the program was AHIMA approved and she said no. I think she was another one who read me something off a website. I do not think she knew too much about the course either. She probably knew some, but not all like I had hoped for. At least she was nice. I also asked her if students get to learn the 3M encoding software. She had no idea. She told me she would find out and call/e-mail me back tomorrow. She was nice though.

So far from all my calls today during my lunch break at work, I think I can cross Long Beach off my list. It was too far anyway and the hours would not go well with my work schedule. Classes would be from 9am to 2:45 Monday through Thursday. I work from 7am til 3:30pm.. sometimes 5pm if I do a little overtime. So it wouldn't work at all. It would work if I took section 2 since it starts in October and I wouldn't be working here anymore, but who knows if I'll get another job? Yeah.. this program just wouldn't work. So far I've already crossed of Cal Poly from my list but that's because they only offered a coding class. I want a combined coding AND billing class. Yeah.. I'm one step closer :) When I get home, I'm going to open up the e-mail that Nicolette from Career Step sent and watch/view the demos. She asked me if I wanted the video tutorial or the class demo. I asked her which one was better and she ended up sending me both. I secretly wanted both anyway but I wasn't sure if I was allowed to do that so I was happy when she told me she'd send me both lol.

But yeah.... today after work I'm going chill at my parents house since my fam is currently in Vegas. Just gonna baby sit the house and get some alone time until 9pm-ish then go back to my boyfriend's house where I currently live. Yeah. I can't wait to get off work. Even though I'm still "deciding" on schools, I have a feeling I already know what school I want to go to... Career Step... even though it's the most expensive. I'm trying not to think about the price though. Both Tyson (another academic advisor) and Nicolette both told me they were the number 1 online school approved by AHIMA? Something along those lines. I have never heard of Career Step before I posted on an indeed.com forum though. But I'm glad I did. I guess we'll see where this takes me.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment